Refugee Relief Supplies
There is currently a shortage of nappies for refugee children in Lesvos, Greece.
What do we need from you?
There are a number of ways in which you can help the refugee relief appeal; from donating individually, to collecting donations with friends, to organising a collection appeal yourself!
There are so many things that refugees are desperately in need of, but right now our main focus for this appeal will be on collecting nappies. We are aiming to send enough to provide for the whole camp for one month, that’s 30,000 nappies in total!
That’s a lot of nappies! How many can you contribute to reach this total?
Whilst 30,000 nappies may appear overwhelming, with the help of your local community you can help us reach this target, with previous donations reaching up to 5,000 nappies, so spread the word! Nappies are such a practical thing that many refugees shouldn’t have to live without, so any help would be much appreciated.
NB: Sizes 4 and 5 are needed the most.
What else can you donate?
We are also collecting donations of tents, sleeping bags, and clothing for our current shipment to be packed up and ready to go to Lesvos by the end of January.
Items you can contribute:
Sizes: For men and women we mainly need small and medium sizes. There is also a specific need for clothes for boys aged 14-17 as there are many unaccompanied minors of this age arriving to the camp.
Two pairs of hands are better than one!
Another way that you can contribute to relief efforts in Lesvos is by getting your friends, family and local community involved. Getting the people around you involved is just as important as your own, individual contribution. You could even collect donations together for a specific age group and make up bundles together!
How to involve others…
1. Find a place that people can drop off the donations and where you can store them before sending to us.
2. Set the time and dates for items to get dropped off
3. Let us know what you are planning so we can support you; Email us at email@example.com
4. Spread the word and let people know when and where they can drop off their donations. We can provide you with a customised leaflet with the details for your local collection, just like this one.
5. Perhaps you can host a sorting and packing session as a way to involve more people in a hands on way (see more in the section below).
6. If you can, drop them to our offices in central Birmingham or contact us to arrange a date for collection.
Host a packing session!
If you want to get even more involved, you can host your very own packing session!
This would be hugely helpful to those receiving the donations in Greece. It is also a great way to get everyone involved in giving their time to sorting and packing.
Plus you will have a great sense of satisfaction to help in such a practical way with others in your community!
How to Pack …
1. Ask for banana boxes from your local supermarkets and get plastic bags.
2. Set a time and date for your Packing Event and invite people to come and help with sorting and packing!
3. Check through the items to make sure that we don’t send anything with holes or marks. We want people in these refugee camps to know that we care.
4. Sort your donations into the types and categories of clothing for men, women, boys, girls and babies.
5. Pack the items together into the banana boxes.
6. Make sure the box is full and then close the lid and tape down to seal.
7. Label the box with a description of the contents.
Please let us know what you are planning and we can arrange to come and pick up your collections. For smaller donations you can send items in a parcel to our office address (GAiN UK, c/o Agapé, 167 Newhall Street, Birmingham, B3 1SW). You can drop them off or give us a call (0121 765 4404) and we can arrange a collection. Thank You!
Making a real difference…Thanks!
Your donations of nappies, clothes and supplies will have a genuine impact on the lives of refugees from Afghanistan, Yemen, Syria and many other countries in crisis. These donations will continue to meet an on-going need as new arrivals continue to enter the camps. As soon as we have collected enough relief supplies to fill one transport we will be shipping it off and then gearing up to fill the next one.
Your donations and efforts to mobilise others to be part of this appeal are vitally important!
You can also make a donation towards this appeal that will be used to send these items to the refugee camps. Visit our giving page here: www.give.net/refugeereliefappeal.